The Tax Specialist is responsible for assisting clients with preparation of returns for complex businesses, trusts, and nonprofit clients. Assist in unemployment tax compliance activities as they relate to client level unemployment tax reporting regulatory requirements. The role will also remit payroll tax, audit UI cost rates, and respond to internal inquiries regarding unemployment tax compliance. The Tax Specialist will also assist in ensuring client payroll tax accounts are compliant, minimizing penalty assessments.
- Correspond with various tax agencies.
- Perform retro calculations when necessary to account for updated UI rates.
- Prepare and file tax returns original and amended tax returns with Federal, State, and Local taxing authorities.
- Provide customer support when needed (phones, emails, fax, etc.)
- Research and resolve all tax notices received by Payday. Communicate throughout the resolution process with the client. Track the tax issues through internal tracking resource(s).
- Review tax set up on new and existing clients. Ensure tax id’s, filing frequencies and unemployment rate updates are entered correctly.
- Stay current with tax updates utilizing information from our software development team and our tax resource database (Checkpoint).
- Follow up with states as necessary to request status on applied for unemployment/withholding accounts and applications.
- Assist the payroll team in any quarter end procedures to reconcile tax accounts or file payroll tax returns.
- File and Log all payroll tax notices received to be reviewed by the Payroll Department.
- Performs other duties as assigned.