Typical Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee entire federal, state, and local client tax form submission process on a quarterly, annual, or other required basis including 941s, state income tax, unemployment, and w-2 year-end filings.
- Manage daily, monthly, and quarterly tax payments and validations.
- Review all new client accounts for accuracy of tax account set-up
- Resolve client tax issues w/ federal, state, and local agencies. Including tracking, monitoring and collections.
- Working with accounting, to reconcile client transaction account balances.
- Complete amended federal and state tax returns when needed.
- Resolve payroll tax discrepancies by collecting and analyzing information and making changes.
- Perform audits of the various company tax procedures including preparing for internal audit.
- Review and test updates to the payroll tax system.
- Manage client tax account registration and termination processes.
- Partner with cross-functional groups to support projects; ensuring payroll tax deliverables, business needs, and company goals are achieved.
- Oversee and perform ongoing evaluation of payroll tax related operating procedures and policies.
- Maintain professional and technical payroll tax knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, and participating in professional organizations.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to speak clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations.
- Ability to gather and analyze information to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner.
- Quality management by looking for ways to improve and promote quality and demonstrate accuracy and thoroughness.
- A thorough knowledge and understanding of payroll tax and the regulatory environment, which includes federal, multi-state, and local tax regulations as well as the ability to read, understand, and analyze highly complex regulatory payroll tax information.
- Ability to communicate complex payroll tax information to all levels of the organization and clients.
- Working knowledge of payroll software systems to prepare and process payroll tax requirements.
- Ability to interpret and analyze complex data, make determinations, and ensure that payroll taxes are appropriately processed.
- Experience in processing electronic tax filings and payments with federal and state tax agencies.
- Must be results-oriented and able to perform multiple projects or tasks in a timely and effective manner.
- Must have excellent time management and organizational skills.
- Management of the Tax Department.
- Manage quarterly and annual departmental goals and oversee their execution.
- Include staff in planning, decision-making and process improvement.
- Be available to staff and hold recurring scheduled meetings.
- Develop subordinates’ skills and encourages growth and continuing education.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Minimum 3 years multi-state, multi-jurisdiction, payroll tax experience
- Minimum 3 years of leadership experience.
- Payroll service bureau or related industry experience preferred.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.